This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure here.
This post shows you how to create these easy and super cute Cactus Pretzel Rods.
Have you ever wondered why the world is cactus-crazed? Really, what makes cacti so irresistible?
To start, cacti have incredible design value. They come in all different shapes and textures. They also grow uniquely shaped flowers in a variety of colors.
Cacti are a millennial’s decorating favorite. From actual living cacti to graphic decorative cacti, you’ll find these charming plants as part of any modern aesthetic.
Cacti are even a very popular party theme for both kids and adults. I’ve seen some very beautiful and fun cactus party themes all over Pinterest. Because of this, the party designer in me is just itching to throw a cactus themed party – pronto!
So if you’re thinking of throwing a cactus themed fiesta yourself, you’ve got to add these insanely easy and super cute Cactus Pretzel Rods to your dessert spread.
The design value you get with these cactus pretzel rods is extremely high because they’re so easy and quick to make yet add so much style to your dessert table.
These Cactus Pretzel Rods are also really fun to make with your kids at home. They’re a sweet little treat that your kids will adore and have so much fun eating.
So let’s get started. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Cactus Pretzel Rods:
- Pretzel rods. I love to use Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzel Rods that come in a bag. That’s because they taste great and get rave reviews. Snyder’s pretzel rods are also easy to find at most supermarket.
- Dark green candy melts. Wilton dark green candy melts are the perfect color match for the cactus look. You can also use white candy melts and tint it with green food coloring. Furthermore, you can use Wilton vibrant green candy melts for a lighter color, or you want to add some contrast. Making these pretzel rods in both bright green and light green would give your dessert spread a beautiful look. Keep in mind, you can find candy melts at most stores like Walmart and Michaels.
- White jimmies. The white jimmies (aka sprinkles) will serve as the cactus spines.
- Royal icing flowers. For some extra color, add royal icing flowers to these cactus pretzel rods. You can make royal icing flowers yourself in the color scheme you’re going for, or you can find pre-made royal icing flowers. However, if you’re pressed for time or simply love rainbow colors, use these Wilton Mini Daisy Multi-Color Icing Decorations. They’re the perfect size and make decorating these Cactus Pretzel Rods that much easier since they’re ready to use right out of the package.
Tools You’ll Need:
- Microwave safe silicone bowl. I like to warm up candy melts in a silicone bowl. That way, if you have leftover candy melt, you can allow it to harden in the silicone bowl. Once hardened, you’ll be able to bend the silicone bowl and crack the hardened candy melts into pieces that can be saved for another recipe.
- Wilton Candy Melts Pot. If you don’t want to use the microwave, you can use a melting pot. This is a tool serious bakers swear by for melting chocolate and candy melts. A Wilton Candy Melts Pot can melt candy melts in 10 minutes or less to the perfect temperature for dipping, drizzling, or decorating. It will also keep your candy melts warm enough to work with throughout your project.
- Spoon. You’ll be using the spoon to pour melted candy melts over the pretzel rods. This method works nicely if you don’t have a bowl deep enough to dip enough of the pretzel rod into the candy melt. It also works if you only have just the right amount of candy melt for the recipe.
- Container filled with uncooked rice. I love this trick for drying pretzel rods. Sure, you can dry them flat on a plate. However, drying them upright will make them look neater and avoid having one side looking flat. You can achieve upright drying in a very simple way. After getting candy melt onto your pretzel rod, just stick the dry end into the uncooked rice. The rice will hold the pretzel rod upright while it hardens.
Instructions for Creating Cactus Pretzel Rods:
Step 1. Pour green candy melts into a microwave safe silicone bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at 50% power and then stir. Repeat heating for 30 seconds at 50% power and stirring until the candy melts are uniformly melted. This should take approximately a total of 1 minute and 30 seconds of heating time.
Step 2. Spoon melted candy over pretzel rod. Leave about 3 inches of the bottom of the pretzel rod free of melted candy.
Step 3. Tap the pretzel rod on the edge of the bowl or vigorously shake the pretzel rod over the bowl. This will get as much excess candy off the pretzel rod. Then, use the back of your spoon and run it down the side of the pretzel to make ridges.
Step 4. Sprinkle the wet pretzel rod with white jimmies (sprinkles). Make sure to sprinkle lightly because this will help make the pretzel rod look like it has nicely spaced out cactus spines.
Step 5. Add an icing flower decoration near the top of the pretzel rod. Most live cacti flower at the top of the plant, so this will give it a more realistic look and add some color.
Step 6. Insert the dry end of the pretzel rod into the container filled with uncooked rice to allow them to harden.
Step 7. Once you’ve decorated the number of pretzels you want, place the container in the refrigerator to harden the candy. This should take about 15 minutes.
If you’ll be making light green pretzel rods as well, then repeat the steps above.
How to Display Your Cactus Pretzel Rods:
You can lay them flat on a simple white rectangular plate for a modern minimalist look.
You can also stand them upright in a mason jar or even in a cute cactus mug like this one.
My favorite way to display these pretzel rods, however, is to give them an authentic presentation. To do this, fill a terracotta pot or succulent planter with crushed chocolate cookies (like from Oreos), and then stick the bottom ends of the pretzel rods into it. Brilliant! The crushed chocolate cookies look like soil and will give your cactus pretzels an authentic look.
I certainly hope you enjoy these Cactus Pretzel Rods. If you have any questions, please reach out to me. I always love hearing from you.
This post was all about how to create easy and super cute Cactus Pretzel Rods.